HOW TO FEST
We are excited to offer our AiM community, near and far, a chance to experience films together. Here’s everything you’ll need to know to make the most of your online Africa in Motion Film Festival experience. When you create your account, you’ll have the opportunity to watch premieres, attend talks and other online events.
- When is the festival taking place?
The Festival is taking place October 15-31, 2021 online.
- Are you a member of the press or industry?
Visit our Press page here.
- Where are the films?
Our 2021 film festival programme is available entirely online this year, with most films available for the whole duration of the festival, 15 - 31 October 2021. Once an audience member presses 'play' the film will be available for 48 hours playable directly on the Africa in Motion website after which, access to the film will expire.
- I am based outside the UK, can I watch anything?
Most of the films in the programme are geo-blocked to the UK only. However, please see below some film availability exceptions.The following films are available in wider regions:
- ELDER'S CORNER - Available in UK and Nigeria
- OUR LEGACIES short films - Free and available to view from anywhere in the world
- STRIKE FOR FREEDOM: FREDERICK DOUGLASS IN SCOTLAND - Available in UK and Europe
- WAHENGA - Available to view from anywhere in the world
- TRANSITION - 'XBUK ALO'? - Available in UK and the whole African continent
*In addition, our Opening Night Music performance is available to view from anywhere in the world for free on our website and YouTube channel until October 31, 2021.
- For how long are films available for?
Most films are available for the entire 2-week window, except for the following films, which are available for a 48-hour window only:
- Do you have audience capacity limits?
The following films have audience capacity limits upon request from the distributor(s).
- How do I get access to watch films?
In order to watch the films, you must register for an account and purchase a ticket or pass. Only your name and email address are required to create the account. A confirmation email is sent to the inbox once the registration and purchase are completed.
PURCHASE AND AVAILABILITY
Booking Passes and Tickets: Viewers will need to register and verify their email address, then their pre-booked tickets will be added to their account. Single tickets go on sale on Friday 8 October, 17:00.
- What is the best way to experience the festival?
The best way to enjoy the festival is with a festival pass (£30 / £25) they are available for purchase throughout the festival. We highly recommend you reserve tickets for films with limited capacity (see 'watching films' section above) as they may fill up quickly.
Except for the films As I Want, Dark Horizons, James and President that are available for a 48-hour window only, all films are available from 7:30PM on 15 October for the duration of the festival. When a film is purchased, it will appear in your tickets section and once you press 'Watch Now' it will be unavailable once the 48-hour rental window expires. Within this time frame, you can pause, re-watch or control your viewing as desired.
- Can I transfer tickets or passes?
Not at this time, but you are welcome to gift a friend or loved one a festival ticket or gift a festival pass. Why not treat them ahead of Christmas!
I never received an order confirmation e-mail. How do I request a copy?
Please make sure to check your spam folder. If you are still unable to locate your confirmation, please write to email@example.com with the name and e-mail address associated with your ticket order. The team will gladly resend a confirmation to the e-mail address that you supplied at checkout.
What is the cancellation policy?
All tickets are nonrefundable.
ACCESS AT THE FESTIVAL
We are committed to ensuring that the festival is as inclusive and accessible as possible. All pre-recorded Q&As will have subtitles, and live events will have live captions.
Films listed with this icon will have full closed captions available. All feature-length films and documentaries will have full closed captions. In addition, all other films in our programme that contain dialogue will have English subtitles. If you have any other questions regarding access, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Content and trigger warnings
Please see individual programme pages for information about content and trigger warnings. We have also endeavoured to add warnings prior to the start of a film where possible.
HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR EXPERIENCE
Here are some tips to optimize your experience!
- The events will be hosted in Zoom and streamed on our website, they will be FREE (registration required). Find the registration link on the film’s page on our website. Keep an eye on our website and social media channels for the exact date & time of the events.
- International Audiences: Most feature films and short films will not be available internationally due to rights restrictions, but there are some exceptions (see above in 'Watching Films' section). However, all talks and events are free to anyone all over the world.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS AND DEVICES
The films can be played from multiple devices (including iPhone/iPad and Android devices) and Chromecast to connect the device to a TV to watch the films available on the platform. Our platform does not currently support Airplay for Apple devices. We recommend using an HDMI cable to connect to your TV for an enhanced experience.
On Your Browser: Please make sure your browser and screening devices are compatible:
- Recommended browsers: Chrome, Firefox 47+, Safari, IE10, IE11, Edge, and Opera
On Your Television: You can stream from your computer to your TV through a wireless cast with Chromecast or Wi-Fi. You can also connect your laptop or phone to a TV via HDMI, VGA, or DVI cables.