Submit Your Film!
18th May 2022
Filmmakers of African nationality, from the African diaspora or who identify themselves as African are invited to submit short films of no longer than 30 minutes for the 16th edition of Africa in Motion's prestigious annual short film competition. A cash prize will be awarded to the winner of this competition strand.
The 16th edition of the festival will take place in November. A shortlist compiled from all eligible films will be announced in September 2022. A high-profile jury of local and international film specialists and established African filmmakers will choose the competition winner, to be announced during the festival. In addition to the overall winner selected by the jury, there will be an Audience Choice Award announced at the close of the festival, when both the jury's choice and audience choice will be screened again prior to the closing film.
Deadline: 15 July 2022
Please read the guidelines and regulations below carefully before submitting your film.
- We accept entries from all filmmakers of African nationality, from the African diaspora or who identify themselves as African.
- We are particularly interested in giving exposure to young and emerging African filmmakers living and working on the continent or abroad. To this end, filmmakers who enter a film for consideration must not have previously completed a feature-length film. By 'feature-length' we mean any film longer than 60 minutes.
- Films entered can be of any theme or genre; fiction, documentary, animation or experimental, and shot in any format.
- Only recent films directed by filmmakers of African nationality will be accepted - the film must have been completed in 2020 or after. We will accept films that have previously been screened on television, at other festivals or in cinemas.
- Films should be no longer than 30 minutes. Applicants may submit more than one film.
- We will only accept films in English or with English subtitles (the dialogue could be in any language). Applicants are responsible for all translation and subtitling. Any film received which is either not in English or does not have English subtitles will be ineligible for the competition.
- Africa in Motion will not pay any screening fee for selected short films to be screened in the festival as part of the competition.
- Screening copies must be sent on high-resolution digital file.
- The director and the beneficiaries of the submitted film undertake not to withdraw the film from the competition as of the announcement of the festival programme in September 2022.
If you have any queries regarding the submission guidelines and regulations, please email our programme producer Sharon Thomas: firstname.lastname@example.org
Filmmakers are invited to submit via FilmFreeway (click the button below).